Sympl-web-configure not found

Problem Description

Clean (automatic scripted) install of Bullseye 64bit on Raspberry Pi4, unable to set up websites

Any Error Messages

sudo sympl-web-configure
sudo: sympl-web-configure: command not found

Environment

• Sympl Version [9.0/10.0]: 11
  • Sympl Testing Version? [No]
  • Debian Version [Bullseye]:
  • Hardware Type? Pi]
  • Hosted On? [lan]

I’ve set the hostname successfully, but that made no difference.

That sounds like it’s not installed at all - can you run dpkg -l 'sympl-* and post the results?

dpkg -l ‘sympl-*’
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
++±================-=============-============-=========================================
ii sympl-backup 11.20210818.1 all Automatic backups for Sympl
ii sympl-core 11.20220426.0 all Sympl - Easy server management via SSH
ii sympl-cron 11.20210818.1 armhf Per-domain crontab support for Sympl
ii sympl-dns 11.20210818.1 all Automatic DNS record generation for Sympl
ii sympl-firewall 11.20210818.1 armhf Firewall generator for Sympl
ii sympl-ftp 11.20210818.1 all Virtual FTP hosting in Sympl
ii sympl-mail 11.20220929.0 all Virtual email hosting in Sympl
ii sympl-monit 11.20210818.1 all Service monitoring for Sympl
ii sympl-mysql 11.20210818.1 all MariaDB database for Sympl
ii sympl-phpmyadmin 11.20210818.1 all Web-based database access for Sympl
ii sympl-updater 11.20210818.1 all Automatic package updates for Sympl
un sympl-web (no description available)
ii sympl-webmail 11.20220322.0 all Webmail access for mailboxes on Sympl

Looks as if sympl-web isn’t as it ought to be.

sudo apt install sympl-web
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
Package sympl-web is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package ‘sympl-web’ has no installation candidate

This was after trying again, this time with the non-automatic install. I wasn’t asked any questions at all. However, I haven’t changed the hostname this time round. Not sure if that would make a difference.

So I thought I’d try installing Sympl on Buster instead. That failed in a dfferent way:

W: GPG error: Index of /debian buster-backports InRelease: The following signatures couldn’t be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 648ACFD622F3D138 NO_PUBKEY 0E98404D386FA1D9
E: The repository ‘Index of /debian buster-backports InRelease’ is not signed.
dpkg: error processing package sympl-core (–configure):
installed sympl-core package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 100
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of sympl-mysql:
sympl-mysql depends on sympl-core (>= 9.0.190611.0); however:
Package sympl-core is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package sympl-mysql (–configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
sympl-core
sympl-mysql

Any estimate of an ETA to fix one or both of these issues? I need to get this working by tomorrow.

I could just do a manual LAMP install if necessary, but Sympl would be nice.

So I think there’s a couple of different issues here.

For the first one (the sympl-web package not installing), it looks like that’s an issue with the packages for Bullseye (or specifically the arm binary packages) and I’ll have a proper look at that ASAP.

For the second one, Sympl has set up backports so it can pull in phpMyAdmin (as not in standard Buster), but that’s not happy with the Debian keys, as you’re actually running Rasbian.

In theory, running apt-get install debian-keyring debian-archive-keyring; apt-key update should pull down the Debian keys for you, at which point you should be able to install sympl-core and sympl-mysql packages okay.

In both cases, if you can confirm which of the RPi images you’re using, and on which hardware (Pi3 , Pi4, Pi Zero, etc) I should be able to find some hardware here and try it out then get it all fixed.

This is on a Pi4 I’ve tried both 64bit and 32bit Bullseye, though with just 4GB of ram, I can’t see much point in installing a 64bit OS. All using the lite version with no gui.
I’m trying the Buster again. That’ll take half an hour or so.

That took a while: seems that one of my microsd cards has died, giving me a seven flashes error instead of booting. The second card was fine, though.

sudo apt-get install debian-keyring debian-archive-keyring
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Note, selecting ‘raspbian-archive-keyring’ instead of ‘debian-archive-keyring’
raspbian-archive-keyring is already the newest version (20120528.2).
The following NEW packages will be installed:
debian-keyring
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 32.4 MB of archives.
After this operation, 33.7 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 Index of /raspbian buster/main armhf debian-keyring all 2019.02.25 [32.4 MB]
Fetched 32.4 MB in 13s (2,514 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package debian-keyring.
(Reading database … 40514 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack …/debian-keyring_2019.02.25_all.deb …
Unpacking debian-keyring (2019.02.25) …
Setting up debian-keyring (2019.02.25) …
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-key update
Warning: ‘apt-key update’ is deprecated and should not be used anymore!
gpg: key 9165938D90FDDD2E: “Mike Thompson (Raspberry Pi Debian armhf ARMv6+VFP) mpthompson@gmail.com” not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: unchanged: 1
W: Removed keys keyring ‘/usr/share/keyrings/raspbian-archive-removed-keys.gpg’ missing or not readable

And the end result was the same:
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
sympl-core
sympl-mysql

Is there an easy way to get it to skip installing phpmyadmin, so not need the backports? I don’t need it anyway.

Oddly enough, Buster seems significantly slower than Bullseye to do the same setup. But it’ll do.

If you do a manual install (docs on the wiki), you should then be able to install sympl-core, sympl-web, sympl-mail, sympl-mysql and so on individually.

No joy.
apt-get install sympl-core fails with the same

I: Symlinking SSL certificate and key from /srv/raspberrypi.localdomain/config/ssl/current to /etc/ssl
Enabling Debian buster-backports repo for phpmyadmin… ok
Enabling install of phpmyadmin from backports… ok
W: GPG error: Index of /debian buster-backports InRelease: The following signatures couldn’t be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 648ACFD622F3D138 NO_PUBKEY 0E98404D386FA1D9
E: The repository ‘Index of /debian buster-backports InRelease’ is not signed.
dpkg: error processing package sympl-core (–configure):

It added the enable_backports.list at that point. It wasn’t present when I started.

[later]
I just realised that it isn’t good enough to use apt-get install [package] because --install-recommends is the default.
I seem to be getting better results with
apt-get install --no-install-recommends [package]

[later still] Nope, just the same. Can’t get sympl-core to not add backports and not try to install phpmyadmin

Are we any nearer a resolution to either of these problems? At present there is no Sympl available for Pi.

Although I’m the only person with a time pressure, there must be others who want to use Sympl on a Pi

I haven’t had time to look at it yet, but it’s likely a small fix with the install script for sympl-core.

It seems like it’s just failing when attempting to add the Debian backports repo as your Pi doesn’t have it at the moment, so adding the Debian backports key before starting the install may work.

The issue with backports may be just a matter of adding a key, but I have been unable to do it. That’s for Sympl 10 on Buster.

There doesn’t seem to be any sympl-web package for Sympl 11. I’m guessing that it’s an issue with your package system, assuming there is an arm sympl-web package. I’m pretty sure there is, because I think I have installed sympl11 successfully on a Pi4 in the past

OK, if you can’t fix it, is there any way I can get the package from a different Pi I have running Sympl?

I find this on a different Pi4:

dpkg -l sympl-*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name             Version       Architecture Description
+++-================-=============-============-===============================>
rc  sympl-backup     11.20210818.1 all          Automatic backups for Sympl
ii  sympl-core       11.20220426.0 all          Sympl - Easy server management >
rc  sympl-cron       11.20210818.1 armhf        Per-domain crontab support for >
rc  sympl-dns        11.20210818.1 all          Automatic DNS record generation>
rc  sympl-firewall   11.20210818.1 armhf        Firewall generator for Sympl
rc  sympl-ftp        11.20210818.1 all          Virtual FTP hosting in Sympl
ii  sympl-mail       11.20220929.0 all          Virtual email hosting in Sympl
rc  sympl-monit      11.20210818.1 all          Service monitoring for Sympl
ii  sympl-mysql      11.20210818.1 all          MariaDB database for Sympl
rc  sympl-phpmyadmin 11.20210818.1 all          Web-based database access for S>
ii  sympl-updater    11.20210818.1 all          Automatic package updates for S>
ii  sympl-web        11.20210818.1 armhf        Tools to manage web hosting in >
rc  sympl-webmail    11.20220322.0 all          Webmail access for mailboxes on

Or perhaps I should copy that SD card and use it as the base to create a new setup.

Given that there seems to be no progress on making an arm sympl-web package available, can anyone explain how I might export the required files from a different device?

It is installed and running successfully, bit I need it on a different device.

I had thought to copy the whole microSD and start from there, but it is a 128G one and I’m planning to use a 32GB one for the new machine. Shrinking the disc seems a bit scary.

This is getting very frustrating. It seems that there is still no working version of Sympl available for Raspberry Pi. I know the package used to be available, so it is probably just a matter of a config problem on the package server at Mythic Beasts.

I had hoped to be able to copy a working pi4 I have running, but that has complications. I don’t know of a way to copy installed packages from one machine to another, so I am pretty much stuck.

It would be very good to get this resolved, pretty please!

It’s near the top of my to-do list, and I’ve managed to salvage a Pi to test this on physical rather than hosted hardware, so with a bit of luck I can investigate this soon.

Note that the ‘other’ Pi4 you provided the dpkg output from is rather broken, as a lot of the packages are marked to be removed at the moment, so copying that SD card probably won’t get you that far.

Yes, that’s the problem. If I could copy packages from one to another, I could cobble something together, but I don’t know how. The other pi is working just fine as it is, but it’s not a full Sympl setup.

It might also be a good idea to test from a machine with no ip6 network support. I suspect there is a problem with accessing your gitlab server using ip4 on a freshly imaged pi4