Using Sympl only for email

I’m thinking of switching my existing email configuration to Sympl as it’s probably less work than working out how to get DKIM working in Postfix, but I still want email on a system that I control and have access to the logs.

• Can I manage DNS separately? The documentation suggests that DNS management isn’t fully implemented yet anyway, but I don’t want Sympl to suddenly start overriding existing records in a later update.
  • Can I move mail from another server by simply copying it across? It’s already in Maildir format.
  • Is there anything else I need to worry about if I’m using Sympl for email and hosting other services for the same domain elsewhere?
  • Can I manage DNS separately?

Yes, and when automatic DNS management is enabled, relevant API keys or configurations will be needed for each domain.

• Can I move mail from another server by simply copying it across? It’s already in Maildir format.

If it’s already in Maildir format (eg: it came from Symbiosis, or a similar Dovecot install), then yes, you should be fine copying the directories across, although you may want to use something like imapsync instead, just in case.

• Is there anything else I need to worry about if I’m using Sympl for email and hosting other services for the same domain elsewhere?

None that I’m aware of.

Thanks, sounds like it does everything I need for personal mail. I guess Mailman hosting isn’t an option though so I’ll have to use a different piece of software for that?