Unable to locate package php8.5-opcache

Problem Description

Yesterday I upgraded one of my sites to PHP 8.5 (from 8.3) by editing the config/php file and running sympl-php-configure. This worked fine, however I’m now getting a cron email every hour which says that it cannot locate the package php8.5-opcache. I haven’t tried to install that package, and I haven’t enabled any modules specifically for that site.

Any Error Messages

/etc/cron.hourly/sympl-php-configure:
E: Unable to locate package php8.5-opcache
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'php8.5-opcache'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'php8.5-opcache'

Environment

  • Sympl Version: 12
  • Debian Version: 12.15
  • Hardware Type: VPS
  • Hosted With: Mythic Beasts

This is simply due to PHP 8.5 not having a php8.5-opcache package any more, as that’s been folded in.

Updated versions of sympl-web 12 and 13 are working their way through testing for Bookworm and Trixie.

will there be an announcement when we can update and switch to 8.5?

You can start using 8.5 now using the per-site PHP option (config/php - whatever version is in there, then run sympl-php-configure).

Last time I tried 8.5 it failed with the missing opcache issue.

I’m not clear what sympl update was needed, hence me asking about whether whatever was needed has been done

It was just an update to sympl-web, which was rolled out later that day.

Everything continued to work with PHP 8.5, just sympl-php-configure was warning that the expected extension didn’t expect any more since it had been folded into mainline PHP.

Ah, thanks. I can now use 8.5 with no worries, then.