Sympl default page not found

Problem Description

“If this directory doesn’t exist, is empty, or has no index.php or index.html, the default page will be served, mentioning there is no content on the site.”

The provided statement in the sympl.io under Configuration Reference section regarding the default page being served in certain scenarios is incorrect. According to my knowledge after conducting tests and exploring the functionality myself, I have found that this statement is inaccurate and does not reflect the actual behavior. When the specified directory does not exist, is empty, or lacks an index.php or index.html file, it does not serve a default page indicating the absence of content on the site as described in the documentation.

Any Error Messages

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access this resource.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I receive the above error or a blank page

Environment

• Sympl Version [9.0/10.0]: 11
  • Sympl Testing Version? [No]
  • Debian Version [Bullseye]
  • Hardware Type? [Pi]
  • Hosted On? [GCP instance]

The sympl-web packages for the Pi hardware are not currently available for Debian Bullseye due to an issue with the build setup - it’s being looked at, but you should but able to run it on regular x64 hardware, or use the Buster version instead.

Hello Kelduum,

Apologies for the confusion in my previous comment. I mistakenly mentioned the hardware type as ‘pi’ instead of the correct ‘virtual’ hardware type.

Sympl hasn’t been fully tested on the GCP as it tends to be not-quite-regular Debian, or has an unusual network setup.

Pease run dpkg -l 'sympl-*' and let me know the results - it seems likely something isn’t fully installed.

You should also be able to run hostname -f and get the full public hostname for the server also.

Here is the result by running dpkg -l ‘sympl-*’ command

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)

||/ Name             Version                    Architecture Description
+++-================-=============-============-=========================================
ii  sympl-backup     11.20210818.1 all          Automatic backups for Sympl
ii  sympl-core       11.20220426.0 all          Sympl - Easy server management via SSH
ii  sympl-cron       11.20220322.1 amd64        Per-domain crontab support for Sympl
ii  sympl-dns        11.20210818.1 all          Automatic DNS record generation for Sympl
ii  sympl-firewall   11.20220719.0 amd64        Firewall generator for Sympl
ii  sympl-ftp        11.20210818.1 all          Virtual FTP hosting in Sympl
ii  sympl-mail       11.20220929.0 all          Virtual email hosting in Sympl
ii  sympl-monit      11.20210818.1 all          Service monitoring for Sympl
ii  sympl-mysql      11.20210818.1 all          MariaDB database for Sympl
ii  sympl-phpmyadmin 11.20210818.1 all          Web-based database access for Sympl
ii  sympl-updater    11.20210818.1 all          Automatic package updates for Sympl
ii  sympl-web        11.20220406.0 amd64        Tools to manage web hosting in Sympl
ii  sympl-webmail    11.20220322.0 all          Webmail access for mailboxes on Sympl

That all looks as expected, so it’s installed, but its likely that Sympl cannot associate any of the IPs on the VM to the addresses you’re accessing, so it’s falling back to the Apache defaults.

Unfortunately due to the way the Google Cloud platform is apparently set up, you might have this kind of issue, and I don’t have access to a machine running on GCP to diagnose it at present.

Does Sympl work as expected with manually configured sites? The fallback page you’re expecting comes from the default configuration, ie: /srv/full.hostname.of.server/ so if traffic isn’t getting picked up by that, you’d likely see the message.

You might try running sympl-ip to get the addresses it knows about, and then adding them to /srv/example.com/config/ip which will bind that site to the IP address, and also adding a hosts entry to /etc/hosts for the full hostname also, then running sudo sympl-web-configure --verbose.

If anyone else is familiar with the GCP setup (or similar), they might be able to help.

After running the sympl-ip command, I noticed that the IP it displays is the internal IP rather than the expected external IP. Additionally, upon checking the /srv/example.com/config/ip file, I couldn’t find any IP configuration file present.

I am currently in the process of setting up Sympl on a Vultr Debian instance just because GCP has an unusual network setup and not a regular Debian though.