Running sympl on an IPv6-only server

Greetings all,

Is anyone here running sympl on a Mythic Beasts IPv6-only Raspberry Pi behind their IPv4 to IPv6 reverse proxy? If so, can I ask, how is that going? Have you experienced any issues, particularly with Exim? Is there anything particular to look out for? Any special config required beyond setting the RemoteIPProxyProtocol directive in Apache and configuring the firewall to accept the relevant traffic from the proxy?

I currently host four low-traffic domains (personal and family use, mainly email and nextcloud) on a sympl instance running on a Mythic VPS. I’m contemplating moving that server to a Mythic Raspberry Pi 4 if practical, hence my question. Many thanks in advance for any responses.

Roger

Is anyone here running sympl on a Mythic Beasts IPv6-only Raspberry Pi behind their IPv4 to IPv6 reverse proxy?

I have an instance I use for testing, and know where are a few users out there in the hosted Pis.

There’s a problem with the Pi 64bit packages and the Bullseye at the moment however, so you’ll need the Buster version on 32 bit Raspberry Pi OS.

Have you experienced any issues, particularly with Exim?

Mail delivery with IPv6 only will be problematic, and you’ll need to send mail via the Mythic outgoing MX relays (and accept mail via a backup MX configuration), but secure POP3/IMAP/HTTPS/etc should get through the proxy okay.

Overall, it’s fairly and some work is needed here to fix the packaging, but it’s possible.

1 Like

Understood Paul, thank you. That gives me some sense of where things are with sympl and IPv6 only hosting. It sounds do-able, but probably not yet the best option for a no-brainer, faff-free SMTP server. I’m happy to tinker to get more experimental projects working, but I confess, I just want the family SMTP server to work without issues, so I’ll probably stick with the VPS for the time being. Many thanks for your response.

I’m interested in this as well, though using a basic VPS instead of a Pi. Does Sympl 12 now support IPv6 only? I’m only going to use incoming and outgoing HTTP(S) connections for the most part, but both may involve connecting to/from IPv4 only clients/servers.

Sympl has always supported IPv6-only, although you’ll probably want an IPv4 to IPv6 reverse proxy and 6to4 NAT, both of which are available and easy to set up with Mythic.

1 Like

Great, thanks. It sounded from a previous reply like there were some issues but I couldn’t tell if they were Pi-specific or not. :slight_smile:

They’re mainly around how email works in an IPv6 only environment, and an issue with the Pi build being compiled on the pi hardware at the moment (which means packages are missing right now).

Neither should affect you!