Mail forwarding

Problem Description

I’ve been using aliases files to forward generic addresses at my domains to individuals’ email inboxes, but providers blocking the forwarded mail is becoming an increasing problem. Short of implementing SRS in the exim configs myself, is there any good way to improve things without too much work?

Environment

• Sympl Version [9.0/10.0]: 10
  • Sympl Testing Version? [Yes/No] No
  • Debian Version [Buster/Stretch]: Buster
  • Hardware Type? [Dedicated/Virtual/Pi] VM
  • Hosted On? [name of hosting co] DigitalOcean

If the individual’s email inbox supports it: POP it out. This is supported by Gmail, Yahoo etc. Just configure their mailbox to collect the email from your Sympl server via POP. This introduces a bit of delay which is sometimes annoying (waiting for gmail to do the POP collection) but otherwise works very well.

1 Like

As @fogma mentions, POP is the best option in this case - Gmail (at least, and probably others) treat mail collected that was as if it’s been sent to the user normally, so rules/filtering/spam etc all runs normally.

Unfortunately SNI is fairly complex to enable at the best of times, and integrating it into Sympl would be nice, but it’s rather low down the list at the moment, as blind forwarding mail has always been an issue.

1 Like

Thanks; will look at other solutions.