Letsencrypt issue

Problem Description

SSL and Letsencrypt seem to be working perfectly well for all the domains on my server, including subdomains, except one. When I run sympl-ssl the results look perfectly normal, but browsers say that the certificate is out of date.

Any Error Messages

Here’s the output of sympl-ssl:

sympl@potto:~$ sudo sympl-ssl --verbose mta-sts.benpaley.com
* Examining certificates for mta-sts.benpaley.com
	SSL set 0: Not valid for mta-sts.benpaley.com -- certificate has expired (10)
	SSL set 1: Not valid for mta-sts.benpaley.com -- certificate has expired (10)
	Current SSL set 4: signed by /C=US/O=Let's Encrypt/CN=R3, expires 2024-07-19 07:23:48 UTC
sympl@potto:~$

But when I try to go to https://mta-sts.benpaley.com/, Firefox says:

Web sites prove their identity via certificates, which are valid for a set time period. The certificate for mta-sts.benpaley.com expired on 08/02/2024.

Error code: SEC_ERROR_EXPIRED_CERTIFICATE

…and other browsers say the same thing in their own way.

Environment

• Sympl Version [10.0]:
  • Sympl Testing Version? [No]
  • Debian Version [Buster]:
  • Hardware Type? [Virtual I think]
  • Hosted On? [Bytemark BigV]

It’s likely that sudo sympl-web-configure --verbose mta-sts.benpaley.com will mention that the config has been manually changed (and when you did, you didn’t update the certificate path).

If so, change the /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/mta-sts.benpaley.com.conf file from:

# The certificate, key, and intermediate bundle (if needed)
    SSLCertificateFile /srv/mta-sts.benpaley.com/config/ssl/sets/<some number>/ssl.combined
    SSLCertificateChainFile /srv/mta-sts.benpaley.com/config/ssl/sets/<some number>/ssl.bundle
    # The certificate, key, and intermediate bundle (if needed)
    SSLCertificateFile /srv/mta-sts.benpaley.com/config/ssl/current/ssl.combined
    SSLCertificateChainFile /srv/mta-sts.benpaley.com/config/ssl/current/ssl.bundle

… then reload Apache and that should fix it.

As simple as that! Thank you very much.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.