Dkpg errors upgrading sympl-core to 10.20220426.0

Problem Description

Wanting to upgrade to Sympl 11, I’m getting the following errors I’m having trouble resolving…
iomart support are sadly useless and keep posting links to this forum for barely related issues… I miss bytemark’s informed support!

Any Error Messages

sympl@moron:/etc/apt$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Calculating upgrade… Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Setting up sympl-core (10.20220426.0) …
Shadow passwords are now on.
I: Hostname is moron.default.finn.bv.iomart.io

• Examining certificates for moron.default.finn.bv.iomart.io
    SSL set 0: Not valid for moron.default.finn.bv.iomart.io – certificate has expired (10)
    Current SSL set 3: signed by /C=US/O=Let’s Encrypt/CN=R3, expires 2022-12-15 12:44:36 UTC
    Enabling Debian buster-backports repo for phpmyadmin… ok
    Job for sympl-core.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
    See “systemctl status sympl-core.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.
    invoke-rc.d: initscript sympl-core, action “start” failed.
    ● sympl-core.service - LSB: Alerts the user that the system is using Sympl.
    Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/sympl-core; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2022-09-16 20:40:03 BST; 32ms ago
    Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
    Process: 14813 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/sympl-core start (code=exited, status=209/STDOUT)

Sep 16 20:40:03 moron.default.finn.bv.iomart.io systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Alerts the user that the system is using
Sympl…
Sep 16 20:40:03 moron.default.finn.bv.iomart.io systemd[14813]: sympl-core.service: Failed to set up standard outp
ut: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Sep 16 20:40:03 moron.default.finn.bv.iomart.io systemd[14813]: sympl-core.service: Failed at step STDOUT spawning
/etc/init.d/sympl-core: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Sep 16 20:40:03 moron.default.finn.bv.iomart.io systemd[1]: sympl-core.service: Control process exited, code=exite
d, status=209/STDOUT
Sep 16 20:40:03 moron.default.finn.bv.iomart.io systemd[1]: sympl-core.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Sep 16 20:40:03 moron.default.finn.bv.iomart.io systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Alerts the user that the system i
s using Sympl…
dpkg: error processing package sympl-core (–configure):
installed sympl-core package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of sympl-firewall:
sympl-firewall depends on sympl-core (>= 9.0.190611.0); however:
Package sympl-core is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package sympl-firewall (–configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
sympl-core
sympl-firewall
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Environment

• Sympl Version [9.0/10.0]: 10.0
  • Sympl Testing Version? [Yes/No]: no?
  • Debian Version [Buster/Stretch]: Buster
  • Hardware Type? [Dedicated/Virtual/Pi]: virtual
  • Hosted On? [name of hosting co]: iomart…

Was this VM migrated to (or installed on) the iomart virtual server platform, or it it still running on Bytemark BigV?

It seems like the banner service which runs on boot and outputs information to the serial console might be failing, so if there’s no serial (like in the case with the container-style iomart VMs) it may simply fail, although I may be able to push a fix or work-around for it.

Hi - sorry for the later reply… but yes this I’m pretty sure this VM was migrated to the iomart system.
I set it up before Bytemark seemed to morph into iomart…

After a bit more digging, im fairly sure this is due to the fact the VM no longer has a serial interface, so when the ‘sympl-core’ service tries to start (which outputs the Sympl banner to the serial console then exits), it’s failing and the package is taking that as a failure.

I should be able to fix this in the package, but it’ll require a bit of tinkering - I’ll be in touch directly.

Thanks for your advice… I think the best option for now is to migrate to mythic beasts for hosting which I’m in the process of setting up now… should work out slightly cheaper and the support seems MUCH better too!